Congratulation, on taking the first step to finding out about going smoke free! We appreciate how hard this is for patients to go through and as a result have set up a dedicated team of specially trained advisors.
This support service is FREE as it is funded by the local NHS Trust. Our trained advisors will not lecture you on why or how to go smoke free, instead they will work with you to develop a tailored plan on how and when to set a quit date and move forward to being smoke free. They will be able to support you along this journey, not criticise or patronise, even if you slip up along the way! After all we are all human!
What can our advisor do?
- Determine whether you are ready to go smokefree and why you wish to.
- Explore the challenges you may face and how to overcome them.
- Look at the products available to support you and the best way to use them.
- Take your Carbon Monoxide readings to show your health improvements.
- Answer any questions you may have related to smoking and going smoke free.
- When you feel ready set a quit date.
- Provide you with a prescription to get your chosen support method.
- Review and support you during your attempt on a weekly basis.
- Check your support method is working for you and change it if needed.
- Explore ways to avoid cravings or problems you have encountered.
Do I need to pay for the prescriptions?
You will only be expected to pay the NHS prescription fee which is considerably cheaper than buying it over the counter or continuing to smoke. The current price is £8.20 per item per prescription.
However we recommend that patients make use of the NHS prescription pre-payment scheme when undertaking this support as this will give you the best value for money.
A Pre payment certificate costs only £29.10 and allows you to collect as many items during that 3 month period as you need (including any other prescriptions your doctor may issue). This would cover your entire course of nicotine replacement therapy for that attempt.
If you are exempt from paying prescription charges or already hold a pre payment certificate then you will not pay anything.
What if I can’t attend during surgery hours?
Not a problem!! We can refer you to one of our colleagues in Horsham who operates after hours appointments at Horsham Hospital or we can put you in touch with the local stop smoking support phone service.
Don’t forget, if you don’t succeed this time, just keep trying!!
We will always support you each time and with the support of our advisors you FOUR times more likely to succeed then doing it alone.